Wednesday, September 23, 2015

ONE LITTLE ROSE












Author: Effie Schneemilch-Cunha

I would rather have one little rose
From the garden of a friend
Than to have the choicest flowers
When my stay on earth must end.

I would rather have one pleasant word
In kindness said to me
Than flattery when my heart is still
And life has ceased to be.

I would rather have a loving smile
From friends I know are true
Than tears shed round my casket
When this world I've bid adieu.

Bring me all your flowers today
Whether pink, or white, or red;
I'd rather have one blossom now
Than a truckload when I'm dead.

4 comments:

  1. The author of this poem, written in 1953, is Effie Schneemilch-Cunha of southern Ohio Appalachia area. You can read more here: http://portsmouth-daily times.com/news/8163/crocheted-roses-hand-crafted-with-love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I encountered a manuscript of this poem, dated 1880, under another author's name.

      Delete
    2. If you have a reference, I would love to know about it so that I can give proper attribution to whomever wrote the poem! I originally wrote is as being by an unknown author... Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the info, Melody! May God bless you! :-)

    ReplyDelete